The District is moving into the procurement phase of the project.
Bid Packages – The District currently has six early bid packages out for bid. These six bids will be opened in January with award recommendations at the February board meeting. There will be 27 bid packages finalized and out for bid in February.
Furniture – Various purchasing cooperatives have already bid on the furniture. The District plans to use these cooperatives to purchase furniture instead of bidding the furniture. In order to use these cooperatives, the District must first verify that their bids meet the bidding standard in Illinois and adopt a resolution to join the cooperative. Under Illinois law, the District is able to negotiate with the lowest bidder. Therefore, the District will be using the cooperative bid prices as a starting point. Using the cooperatives also will allow the district to compare the net price of furniture as furniture is selected. Below is information about the selection process.
- Teacher workroom furniture – Nine teacher workstation samples were installed in a room at Maine East. A group comprised of representatives from each school attended a presentation on each of the nine workstations. After these presentations, the group narrowed the choices to 3 manufactures. These manufactures took the feedback from this group and created a total of eight solutions in two different finishes. The District videotaped the presentations and also created a shorter video on the three remaining manufactures that were shared with all teachers. A survey was created so teachers could select the workstation that individually the believe would best meets their needs. Based on the survey results, two different workstations from the same manufacturer will be installed.
- Classroom furniture – The District has piloted classroom furniture for the past two years. Classroom furniture for Phase 1 will be ordered in two stages. Stage one is teacher classroom furniture, this includes activity storage carts, desks and/or podiums and bookcases. This furniture will be ordered and received for the start of the school year because classrooms need storage. Stage 2 is student furniture, which will be installed over winter break. In January, a room at Maine East will feature samples of student desks and chairs. A group comprised of representatives from the schools (likely department chairs and other administrators) will review the furniture, and evaluate items such as flexibility, durability and cost. Ultimately, each classroom being renovated in Phase 1 will have student furniture based on the process.
- New spaces – new spaces will have a combination of new furniture, which will be recommended by Wight, shared with staff and ordered from the cooperatives and existing furniture. The District is creating a large document that identifies furniture and equipment that is existing, equipment that is new, and will be contractor provided and contractor installed, and equipment that will be District provided.
In February focus group meetings for bid package two spaces will begin and will continue until the end of the school year.
Below are upcoming milestone dates:
- January 6, 2020 – Document receipt for Precast Envelope (Long Lead)
- February 3, 2020 – BOE Meeting for Award of Long Leads
- January 31, 2020 – Document receipt of balance of Bid Period No. 1
- March 9, 2020 Special Board Meeting for Award of Bid Period No. 1 (Please note we are requesting that the regularly scheduled Buildings & Grounds Meeting becomes a Special Board of Education Meeting to award these bids)
- March 20, 2020 – Start Spring Break Flooring Abatement (all schools)
- May 11, 2020 – Mobilize to start work