Dear Class of 2025,
The PSAT/NMSQT will be the first part of the SAT Suite to transition to digital in the U.S. beginning this fall. The SAT, PSAT 10, and PSAT 8/9 will transition to the new digital format in April 2024.
By providing our juniors the opportunity to take the digital PSAT/NMSQT this fall, we’re allowing students a chance to become more familiar with the digital testing format before taking the digital SAT in April.
While the transition to digital will bring a number of positive changes, many important features of the SAT Suite will stay the same. It will:
- continue to have both Reading and Writing and Math sections to measure the knowledge and skills students are learning in high school that matter most for college and career readiness.
- stay on the same score scales. The SAT will still be scored on a 1600 scale and educators and students can continue to track growth across the suite over time. Scores will mean the same thing, so a score of 1050 on the digital SAT corresponds to a score of 1050 on today’s paper and pencil SAT.
- support all students, including those who need accommodations.
The digital test will:
- be taken on a student’s chromebook.
- be shorter—about two hours instead of three, with more time per question.
- have shorter reading passages with one question tied to each. Passages will reflect a wider range of topics that represent the texts students read in college.
- permit the use of a built-in calculator for the entire Math section.
Your student’s high school will be administering the digital PSAT/NMSQT to all 11th graders on October 5 or October 6, 2023. More information will be sent via email in September regarding assigned testing days, location of the test, and a reminder to bring their charged Chromebook. Juniors will be excused from their classes on their assigned testing day.
Students who tested with accommodations in the spring of 2023 will be given the opportunity to test with the same accommodations on the PSAT/NMSQT. Changes to accommodations, as well as new ones, will be applied to the College Board ahead of the all spring testing.
Who: All current 11th grade students in the Class of 2025
What: Digital Administration of the PSAT/NMSQT
When: Thursday, October 5, 2023 or Friday, October 6, 2023 during the school day (October 5 and 6 are scheduled as ½ days of school which is when the test administration will occur. Students in grades 9, 10, and 12 will follow the half day school schedule)
Where: Students will test in their assigned testing locations in the building. Students are required to bring a charged Chromebook to their test administration. In the weeks leading up to the PSAT/NMSQT, students will complete a digital readiness check of their device in Advisory.
If you have any questions about our administration of the digital PSAT/NMSQT, please contact your student’s counselor or case coordinator.